Ko Taku Reo has one Audiologist based at our Sumner campus in Christchurch. In Auckland, audiology services are provided by The Hearing House.
Scope of Practice
We provide audiology services for our Enrolled School ākonga and children who visit our campuses for residential courses.
This includes hearing assessment, monitoring of children’s progress in communication, hearing aid fitting/evaluation, equipment troubleshooting/management and communication strategies.
We work with all children regardless of their mode of communication.
The benefits of our audiology service
We are part of a multi-disciplinary team, and our model centres around family-centred, strengths-based practice.
We also specialise in paediatric and educational audiology in a team-oriented, professional environment.
We have close links with Enrolled School Teachers of the Deaf, Resource Teachers of the Deaf, Ministry of Education Advisers on Deaf Children and Te Whatu Ora Audiology Services.
We are committed to providing services guided by Te Tiriti o Waitangi, New Zealand Audiological Society values, and the values of Ko Taku Reo Deaf Education.
Te Tiriti o Waitangi principles:
- Protection – we help to protect what is important to you, including your language.
- Participation – we provide flexibility to ensure all children and family members may participate in our service at the level they choose.
- Partnership – we partner with children, their families, communities and professionals to deliver audiology services.
New Zealand Audiology Society values:
- Client Focused - The client is at the forefront of our work
- Learning - We continue to grow our knowledge and understanding of hearing care best practice
- Ethical - We act with honesty and integrity and are accountable for our actions
- Respect - We work collaboratively, building mutually respectful relationships with clients and stakeholders
Ko Taku Reo Deaf Education values:
- A strong commitment to Deaf bi-lingual and bi-cultural practice
- Valuing Deaf cultural norms
- Provide students with an environment where they can Belong, Grow, Choose, Excel
- Access to resources and services students need to be happy and engaged learners
- To have opportunities to be their best and become confident leaders of their own lives
The audiology office in Sumner, Christchurch, operates Monday to Friday, 8.30 am-5 pm.
Referrals are accepted directly from the child or their family and health/education professionals.
If you require a copy of your audiology records from van Asch, Kelston or Ko Taku Reo, they can be requested using the email below.
For more information, please contact: