Our privacy commitment
We are committed to being open and transparent about how we manage your and your child’s personal information.
At Ko Taku Reo we have a few fundamental principles:
- We will only use your and your child’s personal information when it is necessary for us to deliver you and your child our services or perform other necessary business functions and activities.
- We will not use or disclose your or your child’s personal information for purposes unrelated to our business activities and the services we provide, unless we first obtain your consent.
As New Zealand’s provider of education services for Deaf and hard of hearing children, Ko Taku Reo provides specialist schools, facilities, campuses and related deaf educational services (Services). In order to provide your child with our Services, Ko Taku Reo relies on the collection of personal information submitted by you or with your authority.
Information you provide to us directly: Our usual practice is to collect personal information directly from you, when you complete any form, or otherwise register to use any of our Services on behalf of your child, or provide any other information in connection with your and your child’s use of our Services. A few examples include:
- name, gender and ethnicity to identify support that reflects the child’s identity, language and culture
- date of birth and year level, to identify support that is appropriate to their age
- photographs of your child
- your details as the child’s parent/guardian
- national student number
- the type of support needed
- health information: any health issue, disability or learning difficulty that means a child needs particular types of support
- information about services and support they are already receiving
You can always choose not to provide your and your child’s personal information to Ko Taku Reo, but it may mean that we are unable to provide you and your child with the Services.
Sensitive information: We may collect or obtain sensitive information (such as health information) directly from you or from any other source (an example being your child’s previous school or deaf education provider) with your authorisation.
Information we get from third parties: We collect or obtain personal information from authorised third parties (e.g. the Ministry of Education).
Information we collect automatically: We may collect personal information about you automatically when you visit our websites, like your IP address and device type, or use our Services, like CCTV security cameras on our premises. Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar tracking technologies.
Information we create in the performance of the Services: We may also create or obtain personal information about your and your child’s interactions with us. Some of this information may be confidential to us.
Information you make public: We may collect or obtain your and your child’s personal information that you manifestly choose to make public, including via online channels such as social media (e.g. LinkedIn, Facebook etc.)
Where we collect personal information or sensitive information, we will only process it:
- to perform a contract with you or to provide the Services to you; or
- where we have legitimate interests to process the personal information or sensitive information and these interests are not overridden by your rights; or
- in accordance with a legal obligation; or
- where we have your consent.
- communicate with you;
- publish personal information (such as names, photographs, school work) in our newsletters, on our school website and online channels (such as school/class blogs, social media e.g. Facebook or YouTube pages);
- process and administer the Services (including storing personal information in our Student Management System) and to help us develop, improve, manage, administer and facilitate our Services and educational operations;
- process your and your child’s personal information for our internal purposes (such as record keeping, database management, training, obtaining public funding);
- verify your child’s enrolment identity and application/enrolment details;
- assist with the resolution of any issues relating to you or the Services;
- liaise with the Ministry of Education for the purposes of fulfilling our obligations under our contract(s) with the Ministry of Education;
- provide personal information and health information about you where validly requested to do so under the Privacy Act or any Code issued under that Act;
- provide related service providers with your personal information and health information (including your Covid-19 vaccination status) in connection with providing the Services;
- ensure the safety and security of our premises in connection with providing the Services (for example in the use of CCTV surveillance);
- provide any information and records regarding you to any person properly appointed to audit our Services; and
- comply with all laws and regulations in all applicable jurisdictions.
Ko Taku Reo collects your and your child’s personal information so that we can provide you and your child with the Services and any related services you may request. In doing so, Ko Taku Reo may use the personal information we have collected from you for purposes related to the Services including to:
We do not sell, trade, rent or otherwise provide your personal information to others without your consent.
We will only disclose your personal information outside Ko Taku Reo if it is necessary and appropriate to facilitate the purpose for which your personal information was collected pursuant to this consent form, including the provision of the Services, or a directly related purpose. Such disclosure may be to education facilities where we provide our Services, appropriate education, health and welfare authorities and to the Ministry of Education.
You should know that our school/kura/early learning service is part of a group of education providers and that we disclose personal information to the Ministry of Health and other participant education providers in that group to:
- identify children and young people who might need additional learning support
- ensure that the adults who work with children (such as teachers or teacher aides) have the skills and resources they need to support them
- decide what additional learning support would help children and young people, whether individually or in groups.
Only those people who need access to the Ministry of Health’s register for the purposes explained above will have access to your and your child’s personal information. By way of example, they may include school staff members with responsibility for learning support (e.g., learning support staff and associated administration staff), or resource teachers of the Deaf.
We will seek your specific agreement before your or your child’s personal information is disclosed to other organisations in support of your child’s learning needs. We will not otherwise disclose personal information unless such disclosure is authorised by you or required by law.
In connection with providing the Services, you accept that your and your child’s personal information may be collected or held in New Zealand and be disclosed to recipients in, or transferred to, or processed in, countries other than New Zealand. We may provide personal information to third parties in countries other than New Zealand if we have reasonable grounds to believe the recipient is required to protect personal information will be protected in a way that, overall, provides comparable safeguards to those required by New Zealand’s privacy laws.
However, there may be differences between New Zealand's privacy laws and those of the overseas locations in which we may store and process personal information. If we cannot ensure that recipients in those locations are required to protect your and your child’s personal information using comparable safeguards to those under New Zealand’s privacy laws then we will only provide your and your child’s personal information to recipients in those locations if you authorise us to do so.
For further information, please contact us using the details set out in the contact section below.
We are committed to protecting the security of your and your child’s personal information and we take reasonable precautions to protect it from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Ko Taku Reo implements and maintains organisational and technical security measures that are designed to provide reasonable protection against the loss, interference or misuse of your and your child’s personal information and to prevent unauthorised access, modification or disclosure of that information.
We are committed to full compliance with the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007.
By subscribing to emails and/or text communications, or otherwise providing your email address and/or mobile number, you consent to receiving emails and/or texts (as the case may be) which promote and market our products and services, or the products and services of others, from time to time.
You can unsubscribe from our email communications and/or text communications at any time by clicking the "Unsubscribe" link in any promotional or marketing email or text received or by emailing email@example.com.
Once you have unsubscribed from the email or text communications, you will be removed from the corresponding marketing list as soon as is reasonably practicable.
It is your responsibility to ensure that the personal information you provide is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
You may request access to the information we hold about you, or request that we update or correct any personal information we hold about you, or ask us to restrict or cease processing your and your child’s personal information or even delete your personal information, by setting out your request in writing and sending it to us at
We will review your request as soon as reasonably practicable to comply with our legal obligations. If we are unable to give you access to the information you have requested, we will give you reasons for this decision when we respond to your request.
The length of time we keep personal information depends on what it is and whether we have an ongoing business or statutory need to retain it (for example, to provide you with a service you've requested or to comply with applicable legal requirements such as money laundering and financial reporting legislation).
We'll retain your and your child’s personal information for as long as we have a relationship with you and for a period of time afterwards where we have an ongoing business need to retain it, in accordance with our internal retention policies and practices and legal obligations. Following that period, we'll make sure it's deleted or anonymised. Otherwise, as a general rule, we only keep your personal information for as long as we require it for the purposes of providing you with our Services.
We take your concerns seriously. If you have any concerns about privacy or the use or collection of your personal information by Ko Taku Reo please contact our Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words
'ATT: THE PRIVACY OFFICER'.
We will respond as quickly as possible (our target response is 20 days) and handle all complaints in a way that is fair and consistent. However, if you remain dissatisfied, you can make a formal complaint with Office of the Privacy Commissioner.
Last internal review: 28 January 2022