Counselling services provide a confidential space where students can work through difficulties and explore changes they would like to make. Counselling could be in person or over Zoom depending on a student’s location. For students who may be too young for talk therapy, Ko Taku Reo can contract an outside Play Therapist that would work through difficulties through play. Play Therapy allows students to explore difficult feelings in a number of different ways – through imaginative play, role play, art, puppets, sand, music, or however the child chooses.
Counselling is often short-term and can focus on stress, anxiety, anger, life decisions, relationships, and a range of other emotions or situation. At times the counsellor may refer a student to other services for support such as mental health services or Psychology. This would be discussed with the student and their whanau, where appropriate before a referral was made.
Our practice is guided by:
- The Values from New Zealand Association of Counsellors
- Ko Taku Reo, Deaf Education New Zealand school values
- Respect for human dignity
- Responsible caring
- Personal integrity
- Social justice
New Zealand Association of Counsellors
- A strong commitment to Deaf bi-lingual and bi-cultural practice.
- Valuing Deaf cultural norms.
- Provide students with an environment where they can Belong, Grow, Choose, Excel.
- Access to resources and services students need to be happy and engaged learners.
- To have opportunities to be their best and become confident leaders of their own lives.
Ko Taku Reo School Values