Physiotherapy is a contracted service to Ko Taku Reo where we refer to outside Physiotherapists to work with our students. Once a referral is made the Physiotherapist will undertake an assessment with the students and then recommend work to be undertaken. Our contracted Physiotherapists will work in the same manner as a Ko Taku Reo employed specialist and are coordinated through the Integrated Service Leader. Every one of our contracted specialists has a slightly different service pathway, but in general, will follow the service pathway as seen below.
Physiotherapist work in a fun and functional setting that promotes participation at school, home, and in the community.
- Assessment of a student’s movement, motor skills, and development.
- Assessment and provision of mobility equipment.
- Individual therapy programmes
- Rehabilitation prior to and following surgery
- Advice to whanau and caregivers
- Consultation with other agencies and specialists.
Our practice is guided by:
- The Values from New Zealand Physiotherapy
- Ko Taku Reo, Deaf Education New Zealand school values
- Respect for all.
- Clear purpose.
- Genuine relationships.
- Leadership and growth.
- Never ending improvement
New Zealand Physiotherapy
- A strong commitment to Deaf bi-lingual and bi-cultural practice
- Valuing Deaf cultural norms
- Provide students with an environment where they can Belong, Grow, Choose, Excel
- Access to resources and services students need to be happy and engaged learners
- To have opportunities to be their best and become confident leaders of their own lives
Ko Taku Reo School Values